President’s Awards Nominations
Thank you for your interest in the President’s Awards program.
Campus and institute leaders are invited to select and nominate one faculty or staff member per award category—educate, discover, connect, support—each year to be considered by the selection committee.
|UT Chattanooga Chancellor||1 Faculty or Staff Nominee Per Award Category||4 Total Nominees|
|UT Foundation, Inc. CEO||1 Staff Nominee Per Award Category||4 Total Nominees|
|UT Health Science Center Chancellor||1 Faculty or Staff Nominee Per Award Category||4 Total Nominees|
|UT Institute of Agriculture Chancellor||1 Faculty or Staff Nominee Per Award Category||4 Total Nominees|
|UT Institute for Public Service Vice President||1 Staff Nominee Per Award Category||4 Total Nominees|
|UT Knoxville Chancellor||2 Faculty or Staff Nominees Per Award Category for UT Knoxville and UT Space Institute||8 Total Nominees|
|UT Martin Chancellor||1 Faculty or Staff Nominee Per Award Category||4 Total Nominees|
|Executive Assistant to the President||1 Staff Nominee Per Award Category||4 Total Nominees|
To be eligible for consideration, faculty and staff nominees must meet all of the following criteria:
- Regular, full-time faculty or staff member
- Employed for at least five full calendar years prior to date of nomination
- Free from any disciplinary actions for the past five years
- Overall performance regularly and consistently exceeds expectations
In addition, the following general restrictions on eligibility apply:
- Self-nominations are not permitted
- Previous President’s Award winners are not eligible for nomination for five years
- UT System Administration vice presidents and campus/institute chancellors and vice chancellors are not eligible for nomination
General award criteria for each category include:
- Efforts resulted in a significant boost in quality, productivity and/or cost savings
- Nomination letters should specify:
- Opportunity/Problem/Challenge (Describe environment that prompted nominee’s action)
- Action taken (Process, collaborations, implementation)
- Results (Can be measurable, change in work process, impact)
Specific criteria for each category include:
- Educate – The award honors accomplishments that expand educational offerings; enhance diverse learning environments; and/or increase the number, quality or diversity of students. Accomplishments should contribute to student success in unique and beneficial ways. Award submissions should include measurable indicators of success.
- Discover – The award honors discoveries and applications of knowledge that solve critical problems and issues; expand economic development; and/or enhance quality of life. Discoveries and applications of knowledge can be intangible, creative or innovative. Nominees should be credited with creating a legacy of discovery and collaboration among students and colleagues. Award submissions should include measurable indicators of success.
- Connect – The award honors outreach, engagement and service efforts and programs that improve communities; quality of life of residents; and/or customer service. Award submissions should include measurable indicators of success.
- Support – The award honors efforts in support of educational excellence; discoveries and applications of knowledge; and outreach, engagement and service. The award is primarily intended for staff employees, although staff can and should be nominated in all four award categories. Examples of nominees include someone who conducted research or provided administrative support that contributed to a discovery; works with individual students or student organizations; or someone who coordinates outreach and service events or activities.
- Diversity – The award honors the extraordinary effort of a faculty or staff member in support of the university’s commitment to diversity and inclusive excellence. Examples of nominees include outstanding individuals who contribute to the environment of the University of Tennessee through a sustained commitment to improve opportunities for the diverse communities we serve. Recipients should demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusion through recruitment and retention efforts, teaching, research, multi-cultural programming, community outreach activities or other initiatives.
The following materials are required for each nominee:
- Nomination letter
- Letter should reflect the rationale for making the nomination and speak to the nominee’s merit based on the category’s specified criteria.
- Three letters of support
- Letters may be written by colleagues, supervisors or other campus/institute/unit representatives who can speak to the nominee’s merit based on the category’s specified criteria.
- Current resume
- Performance review for most-recently completed review period
- 2019 Nomination Checklist and Form [PDF]
Incomplete nomination packets will be returned.
Nominations are reviewed and scored by a representative committee comprised of individuals in the following positions:
- Executive Vice President & Chief Operating Officer (Chair)
- Chair of UT Compensation Advisory Board
- Chair of UT Diversity Advisory Council
- UT Board of Trustees Representative
- Vice Chancellor Representative (Rotating 1-Year Term)
- Faculty Council Representative (1-Year Term)
- Employee Relations Advisory Board Representative (1-Year Term)
Current Selection Committee Members
Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer
UT Health Science Center
Special Advisor to the President on Diversity and Inclusion
Chair, UT Diversity Advisory Council
Executive Vice Chancellor of Finance and Operations
Chair, UT Compensation Advisory Board
Vice Chancellor Representative
Board of Trustees Representative
Professor, Preventative Medicine, UTHSC
Faculty Council Representative
One honoree per award category is chosen each year by the selection committee. Honorees are notified by the president and invited to attend the awards ceremony.
Thank you again for your interest in this important program. Should you have any questions, please contact Sherry Sims at firstname.lastname@example.org or 865-974-8170.